If you want to buy a drone with camera included, there are plenty of options available on the market today. The most common versions have four rotors but they will vary in size, price and features, so it’s important you read all of the specifications, and any reviews that are available, to make sure you purchase the best camera drone to suit your needs and piloting ability.
What to Look For in a Drone with Camera Functionality
There are several basic things you need to consider when you’re shopping for a camera drone
- Different camera types and video quality
- Stability features (i.e. does it have a gimbal) and camera control
- battery life
- Memory storage
Different Camera Types
If you’re considering a drone in the lower end of the price bracket, you will commonly find cameras that offer VGA video and while this can be ok, it is definitely worth considering how you want to use the footage, as having at least 720p (1280×720) resolution will be good if you intend to use your drone for aerial photography/video. Unfortunately, the specifications on paper don’t always give the whole picture (no pun intended) as video quality can still vary, so if you can find some youtube examples of footage from drones you are considering, it’s well worth taking the time to compare the clips and check the quality is good enough for your needs or expectations.
Stability Features and Camera Control
The quality will also be affected by the vibration and motion of the drone in flight, and the only way to achieve super smooth and high quality video footage is to use a drone with a gimbal. Gimbals are camera mounts that use gyros to keep the camera steady as the drone tilts, vibrates or wobbles around. Gimbals are great, but they do add to the cost.
In most of the commonly available drones, you should achieve anywhere between 5 and 15 minutes of flight time before you need to recharge the batteries, with a typical recharge time of approximately one hour. When you are considering the cost of your drone, you may want to budget for buying a couple of extra batteries, so you can turn swap them over as each battery runs out of charge, and fly for longer before you need to pack up and head back to base to recharge. As well as the drone batteries, dont forget that your control unit will also need batteries, and if it has a screen of any kind, it may be a good idea to purchase rechargeable batteries as screens will often deplete the control unit’s batteries pretty quickly.
Some drones with cameras come with internal memory built in. It’s worth researching the capacity and having an idea of how much footage you can store before you need to download the footage and clear the memory. This will be affected by the quality of the camera, as higher resolution video creates bigger files for less recording time.
Examples of Camera Drones
Here are just few examples of drones with cameras here on awesomedrones.co.uk
Syma X5C 2.4G 6 Axis GYRO HD Camera RC Quadcopter RTF RC Helicopter with 2.0MP Camera + Extra Battery
- Syma X5C With HD Camera
- two modes transmitter
- The 6-axis system allows the quad to be hand launched. The 6-Axis gyro quad-rotorcraft flight gives good stability
- 2.4 radio technology adopted for anti-interference so even with more than one quadcopter flying at the same time they will not interfere with each other
- can fly both indoor and outdoor
- Including 4CH digital proportional RC system
- Rechargeable high performance battery
- Lightweight, durable airframe
- 2.4G 4CH transmitter for easy and stable control
- Latest 6-axis flight control system with adjustable throttle sensitivity
- 3D flips
- Altitude Hold function
- 720P Camera
- Live video streaming on your Smartphone or Tablet
- Easy to pilot with the free dedicated App Freeflight 3
- Features 14 megapixels 180 degree fisheye camera stabilised on 3-axis
- GPS embedded for automatic return home and accurate flight control
- Record video in full HD 1080p with 8GB Flash storage and share instantly
So there you have it, our guide to some of the key things to consider when you’re buying a drone with camera included.